Tuesday 28 August 2012

Gabriel Dawe Exhibition

As I told you in one of my last posts as part of the arts award I have to review exhibitions I go to see. So lets start shall we.
I don't know if any of you have heard of it, but there is an arts centre in Sleaford called the National Centre for Craft and Design (NCCD). Well, I recently went to an exhibition there by a wonderful artist called Gabriel Dawe. He experiments with light and colour.

Threads
In this exhibition he uses various colours of sewing threads and hangs them at different angles to let the light come through in various beautiful ways.
A close up shot of the threads 


Threads again
When you walked into the exhibition hall at NCCD you were just blown away by immense scale of the project. What was even more admirable was a film that was being shown when you had finished taking in the exhibition. The film was showing you how the exhibition was put together. There were a series of hooks positioned on the wall and several people had what looked like fishing rods. They were in fact like a fishing rod but in place of fishing wire you had sewing thread. These people who did this (who included the artist himself), had to carefully walk back and forth with these thread rods, carefully taking each individual thread to its respective hook, making sure the thread didn't break. If that isn't dedication to a project I don't know what is.

Of course for me, this was the most amazing photo opportunity, and the photos above are just a couple of the ones I took (and there are loads, I just couldn't stop). I have been thinking whilst writing this post if there is anything bad I can say about it but no matter how hard I try, nothing is coming. I quite simply loved it. I must admit, I hadn't heard of Gabriel Dawe before this exhibition but now; I am a huge fan.

Now that I have finished gushing, its time for me to depart my trusty laptop and get on with other arty pursuits. Goodbye for now. Just as a final thought, if any of you readers have a twitter account my account is @meggiesdesign  I will be updating my twitter account when ever I publish a new post.

Meghan

No comments: