Wednesday 22 August 2012

Paralympics

Some of you may be confused by the title of this post and asking yourself what the paralympics has to do with my gold arts award. Well, I shall now put you out of your misery. I recently visited the National Centre for Craft and Design (previously known as the hub). While I was there I had a look at the current exhibition.  The main gallery space is currently occupied by a brilliant collection inspired by the up coming paralympics. The exhibition entailed showing how we have progressed over the ages in assisting disabled people lead normal lives.

The exhibition started with showing you some of the very first wheelchairs created which then lead onto the first artificial limbs. Going round the room you were taken through the ages and show how far we've come. This exhibition has of course come at the perfect time with the paralympics weeks away, the exhibition started with a message from the artist who incorporated the paralympics into his message and to show how inspiring the disabled can be.

Nearing the end of the exhibition you were introduced to the first aerodynamic wheelchair, specifically designed for athletes who still wish to compete in their sport even with a lost limb. I found the whole exhibition inspirational and to see how far we've come with disabled technology was brilliant. This tied in very well with me personally as I have recently been lucky enough to get tickets for the paralympics, and I really can't wait to go. I will post when I have been and tell you all about it.

Thats all for now
Meghan

No comments: