Tuesday 28 August 2012

Wysing Day 3

Today I wanted to fill you in on my third training day at Wysing.

Day 3


Its my last taster day at Wysing, really excited to see what we have in store today. We were introduced to our artist for the morning, Jackie Chettur. Jackie is a photographer amongst other things which I was really excited about as photography is one of my favourite art forms, to look at and to pursue myself. Jackie firstly took us all to her studio to have a look at the project she was currently working on.

After looking at her fabulous work, we went to our very own HQ, yes you guessed it , the white room. In there she explained what we would be doing today. We were going to create a scene in a particular colour scheme which we could then photograph. We together decided that the colour scheme would be a majority of red with a sky blue and a darker blue as accents. We all got to work. I worked on the backdrop which was literally painting a curtain red. It wasn't going too well as the curtain was creasing up and printing paint onto another side so I decided to do a paper backdrop. So, starting again, I painted a large piece of paper red which was tremendous fun as I could just basically splash paint on the entire thing.

When we had all finished, we assembled the scene and took photos of it. We were all pleased with it, we had made a strange looking house style structure with the most exquisite wire bird nesting on top. To the right we had a small backdrop scene with a cardboard house in front. Really amazing team effort. We all got our cameras out and took photos from all different angles possible. Jackie was also aware that I was particularly interested in photography so I stayed behind after and she gave me a couple of amazing books to look at over lunch. Awesome morning.

The red and blue scene
A gorgeous little house

Really exquisite wire bird

After a lunch break, we came back into the white room to be introduced to our artist for the afternoon. Solveig Settemsdal. She had told us before hand to bring in an item to draw that was interesting in shape and texture. I brought a Tibetan bottle. We had to not be able to see the paper but we could see the item and draw it as best as we could. When we had all finished drawing our items we were given really strong wire and we had to mould our drawing in a 3D form with the wire.

We were then given clay to form around the wire. The point wasn't to cover the wire, it was to make the wire part of the sculpture and use the clay in certain places. The finished result wasn't to bad at all. All our sculptures looked quite good together. So after photographing our pieces we had finished our three taster days at Wysing.

They have been truly brilliant and I am very happy with what I have done. It is now time to start thinking about the exhibition, how exciting.
Meghan

No comments: