Wednesday 22 August 2012

Stewarding at Kings Lynn Arts Centre

I wanted to tell you all about a volunteering opportunity I took part in recently at Kings Lynn (KL) Arts Centre. KL Arts Centre needed a group of people to take on the role of stewards during an exhibition they had on called Alla Moda. The exhibition is of italian ceramics from 1950's to 70's. I put myself forward for stewarding at this exhibition.

I was a steward in two slots in total. One on Friday 10th August at 4-5pm in the Red Barn and the other was on Saturday 11th August at 12-2pm in the Shakespeare Barn.

I really enjoyed stewarding at KL Arts Centre, it was an opportunity that I have never had before and I must say I thouroughly loved it. As I said the exhibition was of italian ceramics and, in between visitors, I managed to have a look around. Some of the ceramics were truly exquisite, the detail was amazing and the whole collection span over two exhibition spaces which gives you an idea of the scale of it.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any photos in the exhibition so I'm not able to show you some of the pieces. Whilst I was stewarding I was able to put my name down for a project the arts centre are doing for the second year running. Its called the Bigger Picture 2. It involves a group of artists from the area being handed a square of ply wood and a square of photo, the photo is a small part of a "bigger picture" which none of the artists know of. All the artists must copy their square of photo exactly and a revealing will be made with all the piece in place to reveal the bigger picture.

I am very much looking forward to taking part in this event and am very excited to see the finished product.
Meghan

No comments: