Tuesday 28 August 2012

Ideas for Arts Award

I am just buzzing after my day at Wysing. Ideas are just constantly floating about in my head and I just have to share them with you.
For my arts award I have been thinking what I want my art challenge to be. I have decided my challenge will be to combine my three areas of interest in a number of pieces. My ideas so far are the following:
One piece that combines Textiles and Art
One piece that combines Art and Photography
One piece that combines Photography and Textiles
One piece that combines all three

I am thinking that the Textile Art piece (which from now on I will call the TA piece), could be inspired by the musical boulder in the grounds of Wysing. Its exterior is several rectangles of metal abstractly placed on top of one another to form a really amazing design. I would like to recreate this with felt. My thinking is that I make 2 big pieces of felt in oranges and reds and cut it in rectangles and lay them on top of one another to create the same effect. As this piece combines textiles and art, the art side will be the canvas that I put the pieces on. I will paint the canvas red and then very lightly do highlights of orange.
The inspiration, musical boulder


I am quite excited about my idea for the Art Photography piece (PA piece). My idea is that I take a photo of a stunning landscape of some sort, maybe something on the beach, and then draw and paint the photo the exact same size. I then cut a portion of the photo out and line it up, hopefully exactly, with my drawing. If it works I am really looking forward to seeing this piece.

My idea for the Photography Textiles piece (PT piece) is that I take a photo of a tree and crop it so only the tree is visible and no foreground. I then highlight certain parts of the tree with various textile, eg- felt, fabric etc. I will also make a couple of leaves to highlight that part of the tree.

My final idea needs to combine all three art forms (this will be called the PAT piece). My idea is that I create a piece of wood with four pieces of dowelling sticking out. I will then hang nine fish from the dowelling using fishing wire. The fish will be cut out of mdf board, I will then cover three in textiles (felt, fabric and something else I haven't decided on yet), three in photos (one of the sky and sea, one of the sea and one of the sea and sand), and three in art ( one pastels, one watercolours and one pen and ink).

I have chosen this arts challenge because I already have a good knowledge in textiles and photography and art is my new skill. I really loved the idea of combining two art forms that I am comfortable in with one that I'm not comfortable in. Textiles is the art form which I have the most experience in and it seems a good idea to broaden my horizons as too its potential.

Thats all for now, sorry I've rambled on a bit, I just had to write my ideas down somewhere.
Thanks for reading
Meggie

No comments: