Saturday 11 August 2012

Interview Questions Part III

As you have probably seen from the title the time has come for interview questions part III.
If the people reading this are avid readers of my blog you will have read parts I and II of the interview questions. Part III of these questions have been kindly answered by weaver and incredibly talented seamstress Lesley Willcock. Here's what she had to say.


What would you call yourself?
A weaver who makes garments

When did you first realise your passion for weaving and how did you discover it originally?
When I sat behind a loom at my first weaving lesson I thought this is where I want to be.

How did you start off working straight out of college, and then what changed (if any) to make you self employed?
I went into retailing and started as a graduate trainee. Redundancy made me reassess my future and this was when I became self employed.

Was weaving something you always wanted to do, or was it found through another medium?
I didn’t really know hand weaving was an option until I went back to college at 35, when I did a City and Guilds course in Fashion. People take textiles for granted; they just see a piece of fabric and don’t appreciate what that has gone into it. I started to understand the opportunities and wanted to produce garments from hand woven fabrics.

Where do you take your inspiration from?
Everywhere; nature, other textiles & weaving, anything can inspire me.

What qualifications have you gained and have they been useful?
City and guilds in fashion enabled me to make a career in dressmaking.
I haven't any formal weaving qualifications but from the beginning I have done many weaving courses and learnt from other weavers.

What have you learned from being in business, that qualifications did not include?
Tenacity; perseverance; working at something you want to learn, having a goal and ensuring nothing will get in your way.

Do you take part in any exhibitions and if so where and why – what do you gain from doing so; if not is there a reason you don’t take part?
Local exhibitions as well as international exhibitions; I currently have a piece of work being exhibited in California which will then be exhibited for six weeks in Washington.

Do you attend any form of an artists group and if so which and again what do you gain from attendance?
Complex weavers; a current piece called the flame jacket, is on the front page of complex weavers website as well as in their journal. Running on from this piece, I had a commission for the same flame jacket but in blue, I called it the gas flame jacket.

For someone starting out in a career in arts, what advice would you give?
As I discovered there are many different routes & I certainly didn’t take a direct path.
You may find you’re on the wrong path, so don’t be afraid to reassess & change direction. Take all opportunities which present themselves - don't close your mind to any avenue of learning - you can always learn, you can learn something from everything. Aim high & don’t settle for second best!

 What future plans do you have for yourself and your work?
To carry on learning & to continue experimenting with different weave structures & garments. It is also now time for me to reach out to a wider audience

One of Lesley's pieces called the flame jacket, it is currently being displayed on the front page of complex weavers website.
The website address is http://complex-weavers.org/

 Thats all for now, something I learnt from Lesley was that, aiming high is always the best way to start. Also don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something, what's the worst that can happen?
Speak soon
Meghan

No comments: